Alberta Cancer Foundation
Our Story Why We Exist
We’ve all heard the cancer stories, read the stats, and most likely have experienced the impact of cancer up close and personal or with someone we love. In fact, if there’s one thing humans across the globe can agree on, it’s that no one wants to hear the words, “you have cancer.” So everyone is in favor of better care, facilities and above all else, outcomes. Together with the brightest minds in research and compassionate care, the Alberta Cancer Foundation is making life better for Albertans facing cancer.
We stand alongside every Albertan who hears those fateful words “you have cancer,” by pushing the pace of progress that leads to faster diagnoses, groundbreaking research and leading-edge treatments.
We don’t do this alone - we bring together donors, patients, healthcare providers and researchers, because we know this is the fastest way to close the gap between diagnosis and cure. We are the official fundraising partner for all 17 cancer centres in Alberta, including the Tom Baker Cancer Centre in Calgary and the Cross Cancer Institute in Edmonton. Through this partnership, we are able to make the most significant impact for patients, right at the point of care.
We do not exist to raise money…we raise money as a means to an end. We invest your money with a clear line of sight to patient outcomes. We invest donor dollars in initiatives that provide real-life returns. We measure the returns on investment in results, outcomes and impacts. Cancer patients returning to their lives. Parents returning to young children. Employees returning to work. People from all over our province returning, in the thousands, to their communities. What greater return on investment could there possibly be?
For every Albertan who hears the words “you have cancer,” we offer three in return -
“we will help.”
Our Impact What We Do
Enhancing the lives of patients and their families is the core of everything we do. We believe that in order to create more moments for Albertans, we need to make investments that matter—investments that will reduce cancer risk, detect cancer earlier, improve quality of life and provide better treatment options. Every investment has a direct line of sight to patients with cancer.
Through the generosity and commitment of our donors, we invest in people, ideas and initiatives that push the pace of progress, ignite innovative research, implement leading-edge treatments, and most importantly, provide hope.
RETURN ON INVESTMENT: In this year’s annual report, you will notice we are focused on “your investment” and “your return.” It might seem odd for a philanthropic organization to be using language found traditionally in the business world, but we think we owe it to you, our donors, to ensure you are getting the best return on your dollar. In cancer research, we think ROI stands for Results, Outcome and Impact—everything that directly improves patients’ lives. Think about what might happen if the Alberta Cancer Foundation wasn’t here to invest in certain programs.
For example, without our donor dollars and strategic investment model, 6,000 Albertans would not have been able to take part in clinical trials over the past five years. More than 1,800 Albertans would have to worry about how to pay their mortgage or make financial ends meet, instead of being able to concentrate on healing—as your dollars allow them to do now. This time next year, we may be able to say that we saved 100 people from dying of lung cancer, thanks to our investment into a provincial screening program we support. We want this list to go on and on.
Please read on in our Annual Report to learn more about our plans to be bold and do something about cancer. Link to Annual Report: http://albertacancerreport.ca/
Our Programs How We Do It
No one invests without expecting a return on their investment. In our case, that return is the biggest and most important one we can imagine: healthy loved ones. What is a more important measurement of success than that?
With a sense of urgency for results, the Alberta Cancer Foundation has shifted the paradigm of how to turn philanthropic dollars into true progress. We are accountable to our donors, stakeholders, investors, collaborators and most of all, patients and families, to make an impact and improve outcomes for Albertans. Together with healthcare partners and our donors:
- We make strategic investments in research, prevention, screening and enhanced care that have a direct line of sight to patients.
- We accelerate the pace of progress by bringing together donors, patients, health-care providers and researchers to unlock innovative and novel solutions.
- We drive innovation by seeking the most promising opportunities, supporting collaboration and strengthening partnerships to expand the scope of knowledge.
Our strategic goals are focused on outcomes:
- Reduce peoples’ risk of developing cancer
- Diagnose cancer earlier
- Improve the effectiveness of cancer treatments
- Improve the care and quality of life for cancer patients and their families.
Our Requests What You Can Do
More than 120,000 Albertans are alive today after a cancer diagnosis, thanks in part to the work we do and our donors’ commitment. But, this is a more crucial time than ever. The investments we make today, will bring us the next advancements that will save even more lives.
We invite you to learn more about making an investment that matters to you. An investment that provides the gift of more moments to those 16,000 Albertans each year who hear the words ‘you have cancer’. Working together, we can make a difference.
- Participate/Donate: Fundraising events are a special way to honor and support our loved ones and all Albertans facing cancer. Together, we can power change and accelerate discovery right here at home.
- Create an Event: More than 400 fundraising events take place each year in support of the Alberta Cancer Foundation, and each one of them is organized by someone like you! From head shaves to soccer tournaments and everything in between, we’re here to support your fundraising event every step of the way.
- Volunteer: At the Alberta Cancer Foundation, volunteers are powerful partners in redefining the future of cancer in our province. Through volunteering, you can make a difference in the lives of Albertans facing cancer while making new friends and acquiring valuable skills at the same time.
- Sponsor an Event: Sponsoring an Alberta Cancer Foundation event brings measurable returns to your bottom line by aligning your brand with a cause that impacts Albertans profoundly.
The Alberta Cancer Foundation offers a unique range of sponsorship opportunities from major events with thousands of participants to grassroots community events. Our events involve every demographic your business may want to reach, including rural, urban, male, female, children, teachers and parents.
Each sponsorship plan is custom designed to meet your specific business needs such as brand recognition, product promotion, media awareness, community engagement and more.