Calgary Health Trust
Our Story Why We Exist
Every day we see the incredible impact our donors have on the lives of people in our community. We hear stories from many areas of health care in ways that someone's life has been touched. These stories are just a few examples of why we are excited to work with our donors to make a difference.
Providing the highest quality of care: During early complications in her preganancy with twins, Salima learned she was already 5 cm dialated. Instantly she was put on bed rest and at just 27 weeks she went into labour. The team from the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) were on hand to assist with the delivery of her tiny and fragile babies. Being so early, they had a lot of growing to do and were kept in incubators with machines to help them breathe until their lungs were big enough to take their first breaths on their own. Donors to the NICU make it possible to ensure that the specialized equipment required by the smallest and most fragile patients is the absolute best.
When the twins were stable enough, they were able to share an incubator and their bond helped them grow; a bond that was captured by a nurse as the tiny twins held each other's hands in their sleep. Today, the twins are four and live a healthy and active life, but the one thing that hasn't changed is the special bond they share.
“Inyana and Ilaan bring so much joy to my life,” says Salima, “I can’t imagine what would have happened to them if it weren’t for the amazing health care we have here in Calgary."
Bringing life-saving innovation to Calgary: On a conference call, a heart attack was the last thing that Don thought would ever happen to him. Instantly he was rushed to the hospital where doctors prepped him for what would be an extremely complex and risky surgery. As he was prepped for surgery, the only thing that mattered to Don was his family. Thanks to the generosity of donors, Foothills Medical Centre is now equipped with a state-of-the-art Cardiac Hybrid Operating Room that allows surgeons to undertake the most complex conditions using the best technology and least invasive proceedures. Today, Don celebrates every moment he has with his family - the family he was so close to losing.
“My wife almost lost her husband and my kids almost lost their father. This is my opportunity to say thanks to all the staff, nurses and doctors who have really given me my life [back], because my life was over and I like to say now I am playing the bonus round. But, because of the life I’ve been given I’m able to help other people moving forward. So, thank you!”
Preventing complications and providing high quality of life: Every day, Dr. Heidi Rabi sees patients that cannot afford basic dental care. Oral health is often the window to overall health, and when people don't have the money for proper oral care, they can face serious health complications down the road. Funding for the dental program goes a long way in not only addressing dental concerns before they spread to serious infections and complications, but also gives patients that little bit of self-confidence they need to go out and face the world.
“For a patient, fixing the way that they look when they open their mouth, or smile, is a complete life changer, because you take them from somebody who is possibly ashamed of being in public and you transform their life. The amount of confidence they gain from being able to open their mouths, from being able to smile, is a complete game changer.”
These are just a few examples of how donations touch the lives of the people in our community.
That’s where Calgary Health Trust comes in – we see the big picture and work with the community to make philanthropic investments in areas of health that will have the biggest impact. It’s for our family, our friends and our neighbours. One day, it may even be for ourselves.
Our Impact What We Do
Health care touches us all! Our donors know that health care is a vital part of our community and the foundation for a great life. It is something that will impact our family, friend, neighbours and one day, even ourselves. Calgary Health Trust raises funds for health and wellness initiatives to ensure that everyone – young and old – is able to experience the highest quality of life!
Where ever your interest in health care is, we can help you make a difference.
Calgary Health Trust has been raising funds for state-of-the-art technology, innovative programs, research and education in health care for nearly 20 years. We work closely with our partners at Alberta Health Services to identify the areas where philanthropy will have the greatest impact on health care within Calgary today and over the long term. Together with the generosity of our donors, sponsors and volunteers, we invest in areas of prevention, early detection, treatment, rehabilitation and recovery at Foothills Medical Centre, Peter Lougheed Centre, Rockyview General Hospital, South Health Campus, and within Women's Health, Carewest continuing care centres, community prevention and harm-reduction programs, and other health care organizations that impact those in our community.
To see how donor investments are making an incredible impact for people in our community, read our Annual Report.
Since 1996, we've raised more than $392 million for health care in Calgary. Recently, these funds have made a new state-of-the-art Interventional Trauma Operating Room and Cardiac Hybrid Operating Room a reality at Foothills Medical Centre and assisted in funding the Vascular Surgery Redevelopment Project at Peter Lougheed Centre that will assist thousands of people suffering from vascular conditions across Southern Alberta. We were also amoung the 2015 recipients of the Calgary Herald Christmas Fund in support of the Calgary Sexual Assault Response team at Sheldon M. Chumier Health Centre. The $99,198 recieved from this program has ensured the team can provide the best care to those who have been sexually assulted wherever they live.
With every investment in health care our donors make, Calgary Health Trust strives to ensure Calgary is home to the best care for those who need it.
Our Programs How We Do It
We see the big picture on health care and work with our donors and partners at Alberta Health Services to ensure that philanthropy will have the biggest impact for the health of people in our community.
Our fundraising efforts focus on three priorities:
- Developing world-class care;
- Impacting Albertans and their families;
- Improving quality of life for those living in our city.
Health care touches all of us and we are proud to make a difference to the people we care about in many important ways:
- Those who need to get better; hospitals and acute care centres
- Those who need to stay well; prevention and harm reduction programs
- Those living with chronic pain; clinic and outpatient care
- Those at the end of their lives; palliative care
- Those at the beginning of their lives; labour & delivery and neonatal care
We believe that good health and quality of life is the foundation for a great life and vibrant community. We believe that health care is the foundation for making Calgary the best place to live, work and raise a family for many generations to come.
Our Requests What You Can Do
Health care is so important to how we live our lives and the quality in which we live them. Our role is to help inspire the community to take action in ensuring that we have the best health care right in our own back yard. Donations are critical in driving innovation forward and taking health care from good to great. There are many ways that we work with people in the community to help them make an impact that will last for generations to come.
Through our mixed fundraising approach, donors have lots of options in how they make a difference to health care. Donors can choose to make a difference in many ways, such as the following:
- Donate: Every day donors make contributions to hospitals and programs because they have been greatly impacted by the care they’ve received or they believe that investments in health care are so important to our city. We couldn’t agree more! You can donate online at calgaryhealthtrust.ca, by phone at 403-943-0615 or by visiting our office at any of our hospitals.
- Leave a Legacy: A Planned Gift is a thoughtful way to make a lasting impact on an organization. Planned gifts are easy to arrange and with the help of your advisors can help you develop a plan that provides for your loved ones, maximizes tax and financial benefits and makes a difference to everyone in the community.
- Create an Endowment: An endowment fund is a gift that keeps giving. A modest donation of $5,000 can plant the seed for the growth of a significant endowment down the road.
- Give a Gift of Shares: Donating publicly traded shares, bonds or mutual funds is becoming increasingly popular because of significant tax saving incentives. A gift of securities to Calgary Health Trust can completely eliminate the steep capital gains tax you would incur if you were to sell these assets and donate the proceeds.
- Create a Community Initiative: Our Community Partners are instrumental to raising money for areas that are important to them. They do everything from golf-tournaments to art sales to hosting runs. Their work helps get the word out about how health care is making a difference in the lives of many people in our community.
- Sponsor or Support an Event: Events are an important part of the work that we do. Sponsors and ticket purchasers help to ensure that we can maximize the proceeds raised for the cause while ensuring that everyone has a great time.
- Buy a Hospital Home Lottery ticket: Our lotteries are important to raising significant funds for our hospitals. We run two programs: the Foothills Hospital Home Lottery in the Spring and the Hospital Home Lottery in the Fall.
- Volunteer: We are always looking for dynamic volunteers that want to make a difference. Please visit our website to see what volunteer opportunities we have available.
If you are unable to make a contribution at this time, we are always looking for people who will be an advocate for the work that we do every day. Talking about the care you received and the way you’ve been impacted, and encouraging your family and friends to donate to Calgary Health Trust ensures that others going through something similar will be impacted too.