What We Do
Accessible Housing is a Calgary charity that opens doors to homes that are accessible, affordable and safe for people with limited mobility. Accessible Housing was formed in 1974 to meet the housing needs of young people with severe physical disabilities due to spinal cord injuries. We now help a variety of people with limited mobility through a range of housing types and supports so that everyone has a home.
- Vision: Everyone has a home and belongs in community.
- Mission: We open doors for people with limited mobility to enhance dignity through accessible homes that are appropriate and affordable.
Inclusio: Our new affordable and accessible 45-unit home is now open.
Inclusio is home to 45 Calgarians with limited mobility. Inclusio is located in the community of Capitol Hill in Calgary, Alberta. It features 45 studio apartments, shared common living spaces on each floor, a dining room and meal services, as well as beautiful views over Confederation Park and patio spaces. The building is safe and modern, featuring concrete construction. Inclusio is supportive living, meaning residents have access to many types of supports for activities of daily living, such as health care aides, case management services, and recreational therapy.
The Need – Only 3.6% of Calgary’s total housing supply is affordable housing, yet the national average is 6%.
There are fewer than 433 units of housing in Calgary that are both affordable and accessible.
By 2019, an estimated 200,000 Calgarians over the age of 15 will be living with a disability. Individuals with disabilities are four times more likely to use subsidized housing and twice as likely to use homeless shelters to those without disabilities.
- 90% of our clients say that their lives would be more difficult without our support.
- 81% of our clients have maintained or increased their social networks & relationships.
- 76% of our clients say they’ve achieved or maintained emotional & physical well-being.
- To learn more about our impact last year, please read our 2017-18 Community Report.