What We Do
Adoption Options has brought together over 1,700 birth and adoptive families to provide forever homes for children since 1985. We’ve counseled thousands of women and families as they’ve made difficult choices for their futures. We provide a caring, compassionate and non-judgmental place for people to explore all their options. And we offer hope for the future – hope for anyone facing an unplanned pregnancy, and for those dreaming of a family created through adoption.
OPEN ADOPTION | In open adoption, birth and adoptive families have an open exchange of information. Ongoing contact between families is most often maintained, and can be at varying degrees, from an annual exchange of letters and photos, to regular visits and the development of a close relationship with the extended birth family.
MISSION | Building Families ~ Creating Futures
VISION | All children raised with permanency in safe, loving and stable forever homes
- Openness in Adoption: We believe that children are best served by maintaining a connection to their birth families.
- Positive Choice: We believe that open adoption is a positive option for babies and children, birth parents and adoptive parents.
- Informed Decision-making: We believe anyone struggling with an unplanned pregnancy has the right to quality information about all their choices. Adoption is not right choice for everyone, but everyone should be fully informed of all their choices before making that decision.
- Counseling and Support: We believe birth and adoptive parents are best served with supportive, non-judgmental counseling, as they make important life and family decisions.
- Diversity: We serve all Albertans and welcome a diversity in race, religion, family makeup and lifestyle.
- Dignity: We recognize that every adoption is unique, and no one way is suitable for everyone. All participants are treated with respect and dignity at all times by our professional staff.
- Education and Advocacy: We believe that we can positively impact lives by raising awareness and educating those in the caring professions, and by advocating for changes in open adoption policies.
WE SUPPORT ANYONE FACING AN UNPLANNED PREGNANCY
An unexpected pregnancy can be very scary, and decisions can be extremely difficult. We are here to help anyone who finds themselves in this situation explore their options. Our professional social workers offer counseling and support as clients decide if adoption is the right choice for them. If they choose adoption for their child, we support them through a process of choosing an adoptive family and making an adoption plan. If they decide that adoption is not right for them, we assist in finding appropriate community resources. Support to birthparents is provided free of charge throughout, regardless of their decision, and for as long after the adoption as birthmothers require it.
WE HELP PARENTS REALIZE THEIR DREAM OF CREATING A FAMILY
The decision to adopt takes time and careful consideration. Through our adoption programs, we assist potential adoptive parents learn about domestic open adoption, private direct adoption and international adoption. We provide education and preparation seminars to help couples prepare to be the best adoptive parents they can be. Our professional staff counsel and guide couples throughout the adoption process, and offer post-adoption support services.
WE REACH OUT TO THE COMMUNITY
Through our community outreach program, we connect with professionals in the many, varied caring professions to help increase their understanding of open adoption, and to ensure they are able to provide their clients with quality information about adoption as an option. There is general lack of understanding and many misperceptions about adoption today. We are advancing adoption awareness by connecting with doctors, nurses, government social workers, police services, school counselors, and many others in our community.