What We Do
Our mission is simple: “To Help as Many Animals As We Can.”
Our goal? A world with no more homeless animals.
Tova was a beautiful seven year old German Shepherd mix when she arrived at the door of Calgary Humane Society after being abandoned by her owner. As we researched Tova’s past, we discovered she had a rough start. In just seven years, Tova had been through at least five homes. Five families. Five separations. This time, we vowed, Tova would find her forever family.
Our staff worked tirelessly with Tova in her early days at the shelter. Tova did not like other dogs, but was sweet and affectionate to people. We knew her perfect home was out there. Once Tova had cleared her behavior and medical exams it was time to move to adoptions. She had her photo taken, a biography written and she moved into Pooch Pad 5, ready for her adoring public.
Thanks to you, during her stay Tova received:
- 1,046.5 cups of dog food & 897 walks and play sessions outside
- 36 veterinary appointments & 28 days of medication to treat a minor health problem
- 87 toys to de-squeak, de-stuff and destroy & 4 on-camera features as “Pet of the Week” on local news stations
- A special 4-day “fur-low” to a foster home
- 48 in-shelter sessions with our behavior staff for stress management & dog skills training
- Countless visits to spend time upstairs with office staff
- 598 “room service” visits by our animal care staff
- 2,392 tiny treats (from trainers, dog walkers, staff, potential adopters and kids clubs)
- 7 made-from-scratch, custom-decorated cookies from our kids camps
- 13 beautiful hand-made adoption signs from CHS youth clubs
- 28 visits with potential new families
- 1,285 ear scratches, 6,877 head pats and 8,372 “Good girls!”
- Endless amounts of love & One Perfect New Forever Family
OUR HISTORY: Calgary Humane Society is Calgary’s most established animal welfare organization with a proud history of connecting lives and standing up for animals who cannot speak for themselves since 1922.
Ninety-four years later, the Calgary Humane Society team is made up of over 100 staff, 400 volunteers, 700 foster families and thousands of generous donors.
As Calgary’s longest-established animal rescue, full-service animal shelter and only open-admission shelter in Calgary, we see over 7,000 animals each year. We never say no and never turn away an animal in need.
OUR 2015 RESULTS:
- 7,698 animal admissions (38% increase from 2014)
- 1, 705 exotic animals in care (221% increase from 2014)
- 12,571 animal health exams (74% increase from 2014)
- 2,496 animals seized (245% increase from 2014)
- 7,866 cremations (2.5% increase from 2014)
- 13,856 total children engaged in community education programs (18% increase from 2014)
- 3,773 total animal adoptions (14% increase from 2014)
See a full list of our programs and services below.