Why We Exist
“I need to do something to help my fellow immigrants”
Those are the words of Mr. Salim M. Sindhu, co-founder of the Calgary Immigrant Educational Society (CIES). As an immigrant himself, Mr. Sindhu sought to create a unique community where newcomers could develop the skills needed to find their rightful place in Canadian society. With its humble beginnings in 1988, CIES. has grown to include over 150 dedicated staff and over 100 volunteers who provide a “one-stop-shop” for new immigrants and economically challenged individuals. With its mission to help provide free and low-cost alternatives to expensive settlement programming, CIES strives to:
- Provide English as a Second Language classes to newcomers.
- Assist newcomers and low income Canadians in becoming more self-sufficient through employment.
- Give fair access to newcomers to existing services and organizations by helping them overcome the various barriers encountered in the settlement process.
- Promote a mutual understanding and respect between the established and newcomer communities on cultural issues.
- Deliver programming for the people who need it, not only those who can afford it.
With 29 years of experience and a blended staff of newcomers and immigrants, CIES is proud to provide a caring, compassionate environment that feels like home. For a greater idea of how we serve the community, here is what one of our graduates had to say:
“A friend informed me of the Calgary Immigrant Educational Society, which led me to do some research on the courses they offer; this influenced my decision to pursue the Basic Computer Skills course. Our instructor Mr. Mayuanan Selvaratnam delivered the instructional material efficiently and effectively, therefore, the content was easily understood. My other classmates can attest to the fact that we were all motivated to learn. He had our interest at heart and was able to facilitate our individual learning challenges. Pursuing this course has made a tremendous impact on my computer knowledge and skills. I am now familiar with the different components of the computer, software, and applications. I can confidently say I can formulate a proper document for execution and manipulate the computer more readily. I am currently encouraging friends, co-workers and family members to pursue this course and other courses offered by this Institution”.
– Elizabeth D.B.