What We Do
Our Mission: Educate youth, students, and the public about Geoscience, and to provide learning opportunities for our members.
Primarily, we support:
- Youth education in Geophysics and the Earth Sciences
- Post-secondary and continuing education of geophysicists
- Scientific activities, academic research programs and development of geophysical applications in Earth Sciences
- The preservation of the history of geophysical exploration
- Public education and awareness of Geoscience
Our 2015 Highlights:
- From 72 applications, we awarded 15 scholarships to students at eight universities across Canada;
- The Geophysical Industry Field Trip (GIFT) took over 40 students from eight universities to various host companies, where they learned more about operations, processing, interpretation and other elements of applied geophysics;
- The fifth Earth Science for Society (ESfS), partnered with APEGA, CSPG and CWLS, which has many CSEG members on the organizing committee, hosted over 650 members of the public and over 1,350 junior high school students from 11 schools; and
- Seismic in Motion for Students, run jointly with the CAGC, took more than 200 high school students to the Waiparous area to spend a day seeing all of the aspects of seismic field operations, learn about job opportunities, and hear how we minimize environmental impact.
- Giving scholarships, providing mentorship and networking opportunities, and awarding travel grants to post-secondary students for field trips, seminars and geoconventions. These activities provide valuable learning opportunities.
- Promoting Geoscience awareness and learning in grade school students by bringing them to Earth Science for Society and Seismic in Motion for Students. See us in action at http://esfscanada.com and https://www.cagc.ca/index.php?DP=seismic_in_motion
- Supporting the Canadian Distinguished Lecture Tour, which takes a respected industry or academic expert on a lecture tour to many post-secondary Geoscience departments across Canada, and sometimes even in the US. http://cseg.ca/education/category/lecture-tour
- Attending public and university career fairs and teachers’ conventions, to provide careers information and educational resources. http://cseg.ca/foundation/schools-and-public-outreach