What We Do
Green Fools Theatre aspires to be a central creative hub in which artists of diverse backgrounds continually come together to explore and intertwine circus, theatre, puppetry, mask and physical theatre, manifesting creative works and training programs for the public and other artists. Green Fools aims to create theatre shows that tour internationally and garner local and international attention and reputation for artistic excellence. Green Fools aspires to be the ‘go to’ place for circus arts in Calgary. Children and professionals learn and grow at camps and workshops that build confidence, skills, self-esteem, and teamwork. Green Fools aims to have a versatile venue that can house ongoing circus training camps, provide workshop, building, rehearsal and performance space for new theatre works and a vital creative centre for Calgary artists and groups. Green Fools inspires a supportive, productive environment in which artists, audiences, and participants can expand, grow, create, and evolve.
Green Fools Theatre is committed to developing and promoting the arts of mask, puppetry, clown, circus, and physical performance. The furtherance of this aim will include:
- The education of the community on these subjects through workshops to schools and community organizations
- The making of public presentations/ performances using these techniques for diverse audiences
- The maintenance of a studio space.
As an organization, Green Fools Theatre is committed to ensuring that the actions of the company hold true to the following principles:
- Community Outreach – We connect to the larger community through the work we create.
- Original Creation – We develop all aspects of the creations we share: the play, the design, the materials, the artists, the instructors, etc.
- Perseverance – Our focus is on long-range goals.
- Preservation – We cultivate the arts of puppetry, mask, physical theatre, and clown.
- Nurturing – We support so they can thrive.
- Inclusive – We bring together diverse ideas, perspectives and styles to create great work.
- Inspiring – We inspire and are inspired by the people with whom we work.
Green Fools Theatre is a dynamic company that reaches thousands of people each year through events, performances, and workshops. Our theatre productions have garnered awards, acclaim and have toured internationally and our education programs have impacted the lives of thousands of vulnerable youth.
We are Western Canada’s leaders in Social Circus, a program offered at no charge to youth at risk. Social Circus is a global movement that engages circus arts, led by professionals, with youth at risk for social good. Our program is endorsed by Cirque du Soleil and we have worked extensively with youth at risk in communities from Nunavut to Africa. We also have a strong presence in our own community. This past year, Green Fools Theatre hosted a Social Circus camp for over 400 Syrian refugee children that had newly arrived to Calgary. Recent camps for inner city youth saw a vast diversity of participants with refugees from 15 different countries represented. We work extensively with youth in Aboriginal communities.
Since our inception, Green Fools Theatre has been a creative force. We are a magnet for artists of all kinds. We attract actors, aerialists, clowns, musicians, writers and more. Our collaborative ethos, creative engine, and fearless approach has made us a potent company with diverse audience appeal. In tandem with our education programs, our theatre work has been an evolving laboratory in which artists can create, learn from each other and grow.