What We Do
- We promote and present puppet theatre, sculpture, and conventional theatre and to provide education in these areas.
- We facilitate collaborative production of puppet shows, sculpture, theatre and related art.
- We provide a facility that encourages varied and eclectic artistic endeavors.
Calgary’s Outstanding Artists for 2016: (March 16, 2016 – Calgary AB)
The Mayor’s Lunch for Arts Champions, organized by Calgary Arts Development and the Office of the Mayor, was sold-out for the fourth year in a row. On March 16, 2016, more than 675 Calgarians from all sectors gathered to recognize and celebrate the many ways that they champion the arts in our city.
- We’re proud, and honoured, to be in select company as Calgary’s Outstanding Artists for 2016. Our thanks to award sponsors The Right Honourable Lois Mitchell and Doug Mitchell, and to Mayor Naheed Nenshi for his tireless support of the arts as a vital component of life in Calgary. https://madmimi.com/p/05aa67
ACCOMPLISHMENTS: 2013-2014 World Tour:
- Our Famous Puppet Death Scenes performance has toured to over 35 cities and been seen by tens of thousands of people across Canada, the US and Europe. “Visually stunning and endlessly entertaining.” – LA Times
- Our Ignorance performance continues to tour and headlined at the World Puppetry Festival in Charleville-Mezieres, which is a big deal for puppet people. “Ignorance is bliss.” – The Calgary Herald
- 8 performances of Ignorance to 1,600 people in France and the United Kingdom; 32 performances to 3,896 people in six cities in Canada; 5 performances to 850 people in Lyon, France.
World Premiere – Calgary: This Little Piggy, collaboration with Czapno Ensemble:
- 2 performances to 400 people at Calgary Folk Festival Stage Workshop; and
- 4 performances to 832 people at Calgary Folk Festival.
BC Tour: The Umbrella, co-production with Puente Theatre:
- 1 premiere performance to 300 people in Victoria, BC; and
- 1 festival performance to 220 people in Victoria, BC.
CAMP Founded: We founded CAMP – the Canadian Academy of Mask and Puppetry.
- We believe that the next generation of artists should be puppeteers. So we do our best to find those folks that will carry on the torch of puppet greatness. We share our modest wisdom as best we can; and we’re also exploring a post-secondary program in puppetry.