Why We Exist
- “I had so much fun my brain was about to explode! I wish we could do it again.”
- “Thank you for taking your time and coming to our class and being a part of our learning.”
- “I think using your hands is one of the best ways to learn.”
– Student quotes following Scientists & Engineers-in-the-Classroom presentations.
ASN is committed to creating awareness that science is fun, and integral to daily life. We believe that science outreach is vital to raising a science-literate population that embraces new technologies, is aware of science in the world around us and is interested in pursuing science-based careers and pastimes.
In Alberta’s vibrant economy, the demand is huge for educated, skilled workers in the fields of science and technology. In response, CSN’s scientists are enthusiastic to speak about new technologies, new career opportunities, and new research so that students have their eyes wide open when making decisions that will impact their future career opportunities.
Research clearly shows that science education is key for the next generation.
- The new 3Rs …reasoning, resilience and responsibility are requirements in the next generation economy to find science, technology and environmental solutions to increasingly complex problems (1)
- Canada receives a D grade and ranks 14th out of 17 countries, remaining a below average performer in its ability to innovate (2)
- A University of Alberta study identified that 50% of elementary teachers in Alberta had not taken a mathematics course at university, 64% have never taken a pure science course and 88% had not studied in the applied sciences (3)
(1) Living Literacy, Government of Alberta; (2) Conference Board of Canada, June 2011; (3) Elementary Science Education in Alberta Schools, Rowell and Ebbers 2004