The Calgary Horticultural Society was formed in April 1908 by a group of passionate individuals who wanted to share the love of gardening with others. In the early years, the Society focused on turning Calgary from prairie grasslands to a blooming oasis. Local business leaders dreamed of creating a more hospitable place with trees for shelter and windbreaks, irrigation and blossoms to welcome newcomers. Together with the City of Calgary, the Society planted over 20,000 trees between 1910 and 1914 and since then has become involved with a variety of community projects around Calgary. The Society and the City together have helped gardens become more eco-friendly by educating gardeners on the benefits of native and water-wise plants. Today, the Society is the largest and most active of its kind in Canada, providing a variety of workshops, events, and assistance to Calgary and area gardeners.