- We promote and present puppet theatre, sculpture, and conventional theatre and to provide education in these areas.
- We facilitate collaborative production of puppet shows, sculpture, theatre and related art.
- We provide a facility that encourages varied and eclectic artistic endeavors.
Recent Accomplishments: 2018 – 2019
- September 2019: 3 sold out shows of FAMOUS PUPPET DEATH SCENES at the World Puppetry Festival (Festival Mondial des Theatres de Marionettes) in Charleville-Mézières, France.
- May 2019: World Premiere of GHOST OPERA at the Banff Centre, followed by 8 sold out shows at THE GRAND Theatre in Calgary
- August 2018: 23 performances of FAMOUS PUPPET DEATH SCENES at the Edinburgh Fringe Fest, to 3,700 patron (86% attendance) at the largest theatre festival in the world.
- May-June 2018: Tour to Malaga and Granada, Spain and Lyon, France with new show: JABBERWOCKY
- February 2018: Re-mount of TWELFTH NIGHT in partnership with Theatre Calgary and the National Arts Centre, which was honoured with 5 Betty Mitchell Awards, including Best Show, Set Design, Direction, Supporting Actor and Costume Design.
Doug and Lois Mitchell Award for Calgary’s Outstanding Artists – 2016
Lieutenant-Governor of Alberta Distinguished Artists Medal – 2013
Calgary Mayor’s Award for Innovation in the Arts – 2008Create and Tour the World with New and Marvelous Puppet Shows
- We conceive, devise, wrangle and puzzle together a new, and hopefully inspired and entertaining puppet show every two or three years.
- When we’ve got a show ready to go, we take it out on tour; in Canada, North America and Europe, including places like France, Spain, Denmark, Greece, Romania, the United Kingdom, Singapore and the United Arab Emirates.
- We recruit, hire and train artistic apprentices to accompany us in the development of the afore-mentioned New and Marvelous Puppet Shows
- We have made, and continue to explore, the application to puppetry art through video, television and film in an effort to help finance the theatrical efforts of the company
- We partner with the Canadian Academy of Mask and Puppetry (CAMP) to teach the art of puppetry through programs such as Banff Centre Puppetry Intensive, New England Puppet Intensive, and various workshops to artists, teachers and the general public
Puppet Workshop and Performing Arts Studio
- We operate a creation space in Southeast Calgary we affectionately call Fort Trout, which includes a woodshop/workshop, rehearsal studio, office and meeting space, visiting artist accommodations, storage, and a yard. When not being used by us, this space is available at a discounted rental rate to theatre groups for rehearsals, meetings and creative endeavors.
The Old Trouts are ever so grateful for the support of volunteers, donors and supporters. Upcoming, we have opportunities for people to be involved with us:
- Financial support of creating and touring a new show. Sponsorship opportunities exist to be associated with developing productions and touring them in Canada and abroad. If you would like to help us and “Become a Trout”, we’d be glad to have you join us – See more at: Old Trout – How You Can Help Us
- Volunteer support of fundraising. We appreciate anyone who can lend a hand as a casino volunteer, or assist us with our fund-raising events. We can offer complimentary tickets to our shows in exchange for a donation of your time. We can also make our Studio space available to volunteers for their own private events and creative endeavors. If you have any questions or would like to help by volunteering, please send us an email or give us a call: 403-508-4929.