Voted one of Maclean’s Top 100 Charities of 2020, YW Calgary supports more than 5,000 Calgary women and their families in a typical year. YW focuses on enhancing women’s safety and well-being while advocating for equity. We provide crisis and transitional shelter, counselling, parenting supports, childcare, language and employment programs that help move women from crisis to stability.
For more than a century, we have touched tens of thousands of lives and have continually evolved our programming to meet the changing needs of women in the community. It is our mission to intervene, empower, and lead when and where women need us most.
“The support I’ve received from YW Calgary… has given me hope, faith, and self-worth. I’m grateful to YW for giving me a roof over my head and showing me that I’m worthy. I’m moving forward with my life and looking forward to a brighter future for me and my children. I couldn’t have done this without YW Calgary.” – Katie, former YW Calgary client.
Because of incredible support from our community, YW Calgary continues to meet our clients immediate and most basic needs, then works directly with them to create positive change in their lives.
Last Year We:
Our new YW Hub facility at 1715 – 17 Avenue SE provides accessible supports for women and their families that include 100 transitional housing rooms, counselling, language and employment skill training, child development and parenting programming, a community kitchen, YW Fitness Centre, as well as support services to manage the organization.
Throughout the pandemic, YW leadership, frontline staff and support teams acted swiftly and prudently to keep our essential services open and our clients and staff safe —all while adapting processes to function in our new world. We also observed that the protracted economic downturn coupled with the pandemic had pushed women even further out of the workforce – a phenomena dubbed the She-cession. We were bold when we spoke out against the barriers women, children and gender-diverse individuals face. Through virtual conversations and government submissions we are sharing our experience and knowledge to advocate for equity.
Clearly identified is our commitment to better supporting women and children experiencing domestic abuse, mental health and barriers to economic prosperity.
Our programs and services are designed to help vulnerable women and their families find stability, then build the skills and confidence they need to make permanent, positive change in their lives.
Our key program areas include:
· 24-Hour Crisis Line – Available for crisis or transition support.
· Childcare – Quality childcare that focuses on play-based learning and experiences for children up to five years old.
· Counselling – Adult, Children and Family counselling can build stronger relationships and a healthy future in a safe, supportive environment, and the opportunity to enroll in other programs.
· Domestic Violence Emergency Shelter & Support – YW Sheriff King Home offers a safe place for women and children fleeing violence as they heal, and offers continued support as they plan for the next stage in their lives.
· Family Resource Network – The YW Family Resource Network is a provincial network of community-based service providers providing high quality prevention and early intervention services and supports for families. Other family focused programs include Mindful Moments and COMPASS.
· Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada – Our LINC program helps women and men refugees and permanent residents new to Canada learn English and adapt to their new home.
· Transitional Housing – A place for women to stay as they secure housing and take steps towards empowerment and independence.
· Women’s Economic Prosperity – Our WEP programs provide women with the tools, knowledge and support to overcome economic disadvantages.
Donations of any amount make an impact and enable us to provide vulnerable women and their families with support, when and where they need it most. The success of the women and families supported by YW are your success too. We cannot do this alone. Only together can we empower change.
Our current 2021 fundraising goal is $3.0 million.
Once it is safe to do so, we will welcome back dedicated and passionate volunteers to support our work.